Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Thursday, May 31, 2012

A No Technology Weekend!

We are headed to the Grand Canyon this weekend for a fun-filled camping trip.  Anyone who knows me, really knows me, knows that this is not necessarily my cup of tea, BUT, I am soooo looking forward to it!  And since we are being ole-fashioned about the camping, the cooking, & the plans, we made a family rule that it would be a no technology weekend too.  This is the part I am excited about!  No iPhones, iPads, game systems, videos... just bunch of family time to spend 100% percent with each other.  While these modern advances are awesome & amazing & allow even my family to keep up with our soldier for months at a time & our family on the other coast, I frankly get tired of them in my day-to-day life.  I hate the expectation that I'm to answer my phone at the drop of a pin just because it is my cell phone & people assume I have it on me.  I get tired of the emails & the frustrations if I don't get right back to people.  And while I enjoy me some FB, I would rather be as consumed by my crazies' latest inventions or tales than with the status update of my 8th grade classmate.  So, I am thrilled about devoting my time & my energy 100% on our family this weekend... it will be great!  And so we are off... and the camera is our only exception!

2 comments:

  1. I commend you guys! Please spread your word to families all over! We are losing our human connections with the gift of spending time together, and it's so great that you are instilling wonderful family values to your children at a young age. I just did a search on "no technology camping" as I prepare for a 4-day-no-tech-sabbatical after the school year ends in two weeks (I'm a teacher at a school for teenagers with special needs); your blog randomly popped up. Nice work! I wish there were more people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much -- your kind words are so encouraging! We had the BEST time & definitely plan on doing it again in the future, & even would like to adapt a :no tech weekend" at least one weekend a month. I hope that you have a blast on your sabbatical & enjoy some time away from phones, computers, & technology to allow for some extra peace & quiet in nature!

    ReplyDelete