Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

I don't recall celebrating Cinco de Mayo as a child, or even as a teenager.  I'd like to think that as a military family it is exposure -- being exposed to various cultures or regions that I would not normally see back home.   However,  it's probably because the surge of Mexican restaurants  to capitalize on this holiday with major sales of margaritas & tequila had not quite happened yet.  It started being celebrated by us while we were stationed in Texas & was a great excuse to scoot out & eat Mexican, something I missed dearly today.  And since then, we call it our night to go out & indulge in yummy cheese dip & salsa & enchiladas & you know the drill. But, here in the Mojave, there are little places to go eat Mexican & better yet, I wasn't willing to drive the 40 minutes into town without being able to have a margarita -- so it'll be a fun night off of cooking once the soldier man returns, & I'll have my DD to drive the 40 mile trip back home.
So, we did some Cinco de Mayo fun around here today from mustaches to sombreros to sopapias & it was a fun day.  I think the crazies enjoyed learning a little about another culture, & now they will have a reason to celebrate this holiday as they grow.

Started the morning off right... this was how I greeted my kids... bwahahaha!


Loved these mustaches! And totally charmed the milk with 'em!


The crazies loving their Cinco de Mayo Milk!


Sort of a botched attempt at maracas... it was the thought that counts!


Painting their sombreros & gluing decorations on them.





And whalah... with a paper plate & plastic cup you, too, can have a fun sombrero!


 The crazies sportin' their hats!


 D helping me make the sopapias aka: cinnamon quesadilla.


Yummo!!



Even Cooper wanted in on the mexican meal... poor dog!


My yumminess after the crazies hit the sack... Happy Cinco de Mayo to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment