Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Monday, May 14, 2012

It's Sizzling Mom!!

The other morning I was trying to buy some time to get some things together in the kitchen for a cookout after I'd finished learning with the crazies but before we were headed to the pool.  I remembered a tiny experiment I'd seen on Pintrest & decided to pull the ingredients out & see if the crazies liked it.  That was a HUGE understatement.  They sat at the table for about an hour & I had to refill their ingredients TWICE!  All you need is a little baking soda, vinegar, food coloring, droppers, & a pan & you are set!  The bubbling chemical reaction thrills them.  The various color combinations entice them.  And the fine motor skills in using the droppers challenges them.  It was a fun morning AND I was able to finish up my prep work for entertaining later in the day!

Just 3 standard kitchen items: 


Pour enough baking soda in a pan to cover the bottom.  Combine vinegar & food coloring in bowls.  


After teaching them to use the dropper, they can go to town.  The vinegar & baking soda have some sort of chemical reaction creating a bubbling mess & the colors are of course entertaining.


Kennedy sort of did it opposite until she got the dropper technique down, but she loved seeing it bubble up the coloring bowl too.


Kennedy's red bowl bubbling.


They sat here doing this for about an hour.  AMAZING!




When we were done I just let them pour them remaining colored vinegar in for one sloppy, wet finale!


No comments:

Post a Comment