Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Part 4: Grand Canyon Camping Round-Up

We attempted to visit the Grand Canyon back in January en route from GA to CA. After 10 minutes of being on the rim we were greeted with golf-size hail & went running quickly back into the Visitors Center with 2 screaming kids who had no idea what was slamming into their faces.  Looking back, it was funny. So, when we decided to go again, I knew we had to do it right.  That meant camping in the outdoors, becoming closer to nature, & cooking all of our own food.  I made these decisions while Soldier Man was away on a TDY assignment & he was as shocked as I was when I mentioned the plans -- camping has never really been my thing.  But, after doing it, I would TOTALLY do it again -- we had an absolute blast.  Some places are really meant to be visited this way -- Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone -- I know now that you just see things you would NEVER see by staying in a hotel & coming out during the daylight hours.  After the kids were in bed one night we were sitting by our fire chatting when a huge deer came right from behind our camper, went to a brush pile about 6 feet away from us, & hung out eating for about 20 minutes.  I had to pick Soldier's Man mouth off of the ground & wipe up the drool after the thing finally left, but we would have never seen that just going to the touristy places.  And cooking our own stuff was entertaining -- we have grill skills, we now know.  I think we are already plotting a Yosemite rendezvous for next spring/summer... we shall see.

Of course everyone had to help hands-on with the pop-up part.


We took their bikes for some extra fun.



Our home for 3 nights.


The Master Griller.


K digging in!


D likes his lightly toasted


Loved this shot of my bedtime buddies


And we brushed up alright for limited showers


Cooper wanted to snuggle up indoors too


K ate so much of our camping food that she grew a tail... right out of her britches.


It's Smore time... Woot Woot!!


S'more Chef


My Little Love


Our Friendly Deer


No comments:

Post a Comment