Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Friday, June 29, 2012

Hoover Dam Day

After wrapping up Southern California (aka: SoCal around here) we headed back towards Las Vegas where my sister lives.  My mom wanted to see the Hoover Dam while she was here so we saved some time to head in that direction.  Let me tell you, I know more about the Hoover Dam than I EVER cared to know.  It is an engineer's dream field trip, but mine, not so much.  My sister said we would stay "about an hour" & that turned into 5 with no sunscreen, no water, & no snacks.  We made the most of our time there & the crazies did good, but personally, I think it looks better from the arial view pictures because up close all you really see is bunches of concrete.  The visitor center was informative & nice & the crazies had fun "making" electricity with the displays & exploring the kid-friendly parts of the museum.  I was VERY impressed at how this structure was built & have NO idea how the men accomplished what they did without all of the equipment & tools available today.  Seriously, they completed their work 26 months ahead of schedule which is way more than most contractors can say about roadwork projects even in this day & age. So, doing what they did is remarkable & accomplishing the goals outlined was impressive, but that is one place that I have no desire to visit again, unless for a die-hard engineer.


Part of the structure


And more... I'm sure if I were an engineer I'd be better at this


The water that leads to Lake Mead, the largest man-made lake in the U.S.


K & her Meme


 The new Memorial Walk that goes over the Hoover Dam


I had no idea it sat within 2 states -- Arizona & Nevada -- there are the two structures on either side of the dam



 Group Shot


 We took a dam tour, or went as far as we could with kids under 8 y.o.


Meme & the crazies toured the Visitor Center


D was spinning to make electricity


K was twisting to keep the power on


The crazies explored this model town for about 15 minutes -- they loved seeing all of the things that the electricity did


No comments:

Post a Comment