Our Gang

Our Gang
Jason, Deacon, Kennedy, & Me ~ March 2012

Friday, September 7, 2012

Seeings lots of A's Around Here

So, school has started off in the area & I still have the crazies with me, but that doesn't leave them excused from any kind of learning.  I took lots of time over the summer to get tons of stuff ready for a year of learning at home.  I wanted to come up with a theme for each week as well as activities & whatnot to go with that theme.  It also helps me to have it all printed off, cut out, & ready to go so that when we sit down each day, we are set!
I should say that every printable & every worksheet is FREE.  I have not paid a dime for any type of curriculum & there is TONS available on the internet.  I have a nice stash of craft supplies at home & of course have to restock that from time to time, but that is how kids learn best at this toddler age so it is worth it to me.  I did buy some flashcards (states, Presidents, etc.) but they were at most $3 a pack -- the kids LOVE these & look forward to doing them at the end of our sessions. 
So, we kicked off our first real week of "learning" with the letter A doing an apple/fruit theme making crockpot applesauce & doing lots of things with apples.  We have one cooking adventure around the theme each week as well as a craft for the other days that ties into the theme.  Below are some of our "A Adventures" as we dove into everything I had prepared to have at least a couple hours of structured learning around here.

Our A letter & verse

We colored an apple tree & glued pom-poms (apples) to it


We painted with apples


We did an apple mosaic with tissue paper (their favorite)


We laced an apple



Deacon doing some math


This is what K thinks about learning time


I even caught them later in the day doing "learning" with their animals


No comments:

Post a Comment